Thursday, June 17, 2010

BP Dividend Suspension Is A Hidden Tax On US Retirees

Thirty-nine percent of BP's shares are held in the United States by 133,300 individuals and institutions, according to BP's 2009 ownership statistics report. Since many single institutional holders have multiple beneficial owners, such as mutual funds, the total number of US individuals who directly or indirectly own BP exceeds the 133,300 number.

Obama's call for BP to suspend its dividend payments to pay for the Gulf Coast oil spill damage is a hidden tax on these US individuals. They have been asked by the President to give up their dividends to pay Gulf Coast residents and businesses.

Most shares in the US are owned directly or indirectly by older individuals in retirement accounts, according to 2007 US Survey of Consumer Finance Report published in February 2009.

Is it really fair to ask retirees and those saving for retirement to pay for the cleanup and damages in the Gulf Coast region? BP could have paid for the oil spill without suspending its dividend payments.

7 comments :

  1. How right you are. Thank you for saying so. Such folks include my mom; her portfolio included BP precisely because of its dividend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like country folk music, you will enjoy this annual event that takes place the second Saturday of June at the Old Town Tucson Tax Service Theater in downtown Tucson. This folk show features music that is a mixture of folk, country and even early rock and roll. It is an event for the entire family and anyone who likes just about any type of music genre will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really got into this article. I found it to be interesting and loaded with unique points of interest. I like to read material that makes me think. Thank you for writing this great content. Poem About Friendship With Rhyme

    ReplyDelete
  4. of course internet dating is the trend these days, you can meet lots of people on the internet; Good Friday Quotes And Sayings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I’ve truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I?ll be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon! Maundy Thursday 2019

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh cool, this information is really useful and definately is comment worthy! hehe. I’ll see if I can try to use some of this information for my own blog. Greetings from Nebraska Mothers Day History

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very cool! I dont suppose I have read something similar to this before. So nice to search out somebody with authentic applying for grants this subject. I really appreciate starting this up. Your website is one area that is needed on the net. Totally a helpful project for bringing new things for the web! Click Here

    ReplyDelete